norsegirl: (Default)
Years ago I bought these fabric pens. They looked nifty, I figured I'd find a use for them at some point. I've dragged them through a few moves now and keep running into them in my sewing room when I don't need them. But without fail, every single time I have found a use for them I have been unable to find them. Last time I ended up using crayola washables that ran. This time I'm figuring maybe sharpie. So freaking annoying.

Here's a little something to make my blog worth reading, it's recipe time!

Banana chocolate chip pancakes

1 cup whole wheat flour (all purpose flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

3 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
2 ripe, mashed bananas
1 egg
1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt (sour cream)
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (I tried milk, they don't melt and it's better with the bitter-sweet contrast of dark chocolate and sweet batter, but sometimes you have to use what you have on hand, the original recipe didn't specify what type to use)

Add dry to wet, mix and cook like normal pancakes.

This recipe was given to me by a friend down here (original recipe is in brackets) and I've made a few changes to accommodate the things I always have available. Sour cream is just one of those things that I never have around, and while I'm sometimes willing to go out in the afternoon to buy it for veggie dip, I can't get motivated to hit the grocery store before breakfast. Incidentally, the few times I have used the sour cream it didn't seem to make a difference whether I used full fat or fat free. I tried the yogurt substitution this morning and I couldn't really tell the difference either, so I'll be going that way from now on. The whole wheat flour is a bit more noticeable of a change, but doesn't really have an adverse effect on the end product. That substitution is more for health reasons than convenience.

Yesterday I took my first serious go at dyeing. Previously I've dyed up a bit of trim, a few pairs of undies and the silk for my apprentice belt in RIT and played with dye vats set up by others (Mona's vats at Quad wars, Mistress Etaine (spelling?) back in Trinovantia, tye dyeing with Girl Guides). This time I went with the indigo kit from Dharma. It's still pretty idiot-proof to be honest. Made some variegated wool that still isn't dry yet to turn into more soakers for Georgia and completed the main purpose, which was to dye some lovely suiting weight, natural coloured linen into something a bit more interesting. I've ended up with a relatively even dye job (I'm sure someone more experienced would find flaws with it but I'm happy enough) in a lovely medium blue. I'm hoping it will get turned into an apron in time for Pennsic. It better because the only other apron I have is the exact same purple as on of my underdresses, so if I'm going to wear that underdress I need another apron.

DSCF0025 DSCF0027

Also finished up the last construction details of the baby cart. Just have to urethane it now. Totally looks like it's going to work, but as it is a bit heavy, it still remains to be seen if it will get used on site.

Anyway, off to get some sewing done before the bout tonight. I'm part of the pre-game derby 101 show this time.

Profile

norsegirl: (Default)
norsegirl

September 2010

S M T W T F S
   12 34
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Jul. 21st, 2017 08:43 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios